When I signed up to be an Au Pair I kept hearing the same thing said over and over again. “Do not fall in love over there…”
Well, I can assure you that it was in no way, shape, or form the plan to fall in love abroad. However, “when it happens, it just happens” so they say right? It was a movie moment for sure. I was out dancing around in Coolangatta with my girl Rachel before she moved away. We were dancing our hearts out to “Closer” by the Chainsmokers
*FULL ON JAM SESSION *
“I know it breaks your heart
Moved to the city in a broke down car
And four years, no calls
Now you’re looking pretty in a hotel bar”
And just like that, I looked over and locked eyes with a cutie. I quickly looked at Rachel and mentioned how cute he was. Next thing I know, I look over and he came right up to me! I was like, ummmm really? This only happens in movies right? I am guessing the liquid courage had a little something to do with it but I can’t complain. We danced and danced until he had to leave, but he was sure to get my name and number before he left. Not even 5 minutes later he texted me about going to grab ice cream the next night and we have been together ever since.
I know, I know. Everyone told me “don’t fall in love over there” but I can’t help it! He was there for me when a ton of stuff happened while I was Au Pairing. And then I left. After helping me move out of host families TWICE, I vanished just like that. Headed back to the US for the holidays with no return ticket. What was supposed to be a month gone turned to two, and he honestly lost faith at one point if I’d ever make it back. I knew that I had to go back. (Not just for him, but for me) There is just something about Australia and Billy that makes me happier than I have ever been.
Even though we don’t have much money to travel with right now since we now have rent to worry about, we are enjoying what is around us. The sun, the beach, long car rides to nowhere etc. I am having an amazing time living in a beautiful place with amazing people.
The hardest part for me is being away from my family but I know that I will return soon. Right now, I am happy to be in love in a beautiful part of the world working online as a freelancer and babysitting on the side. The plan? Well, I am just going to keep going with the flow and exploring all that Australia has to offer. (Even if it’s just the Gold Coast/Northern NSW region for now.)
Catch ya later!
P.S I’d love to hear anyone else’s Found Love While Traveling Stories
Cheap flights are available and I know where to find them.
You know the rumor that getting to Australia is too expensive? Clearly, people didn’t do their research because, with a little help from Google, I found some incredibly cheap flights that have helped make it possible to live my dream of coming to Oz.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a bit of compensation to help keep my site running!
Below is a list of sites I have used to get cheap flights to Australia.
1. StudentUniverse.com – This site literally got me to Australia! Nowhere else have I found a cheaper way to travel from Newark, NJ to Brisbane for under $900 thanks to a great promo code that was offered at the time. StudentUniverse also offers Youth fares in addition to student fares. To qualify for Youth fares, you do not need to be in school. You just need to be between the ages of 16 to 25. Since they have more fares available for students, if you are both a youth and a student, register yourself as a student to get the best fares. In addition to flights, they also offer deals on hotels, tours, and travel insurance!
2. SkyScanner.com– Skyscanner is great because it offers you an opportunity to see all of the cheapest flights for each day of the month that you are looking to travel. This was perfect for me because I didn’t have a date that I needed to be here by so I was looking for the cheapest deal. It is definitely a top stop to make when searching for your best flight. I just found a round trip flight for $900!
This App Saves my Wallet! Get updates sent to your phone with the Skyscanner App.
3. Jetradar.com– Jetradar is one of the largest online search engines for flights all over the world and it truly faster than any other that I have seen before. Within seconds you will see hundreds of the cheapest flights all over the internet. One of my favorite features is at the bottom of the home page where it shows you the top locations from your location including the prices!
4. Google.com/flights– I have only recently found out about this site thanks to the Girls Love Travel Facebook group but it is pretty amazing! On this site, you can search for flights all over the world while using a map to show all possible flight routes. If you are looking to fly but have no clue of where you’d like to go, this would be a great spot to check out.
5. Skiplagged.com– To me, this is the best site to use if you are not a student and you do not mind traveling light. The developer of this site truly found a way to cheat the system by providing consumers with “hidden city” flights. Just take a look for yourself and you will see how unbelievable the savings can be. Just be sure to read the fine print on everything because some flights do have certain baggage rules.
Planning trips can take a lot of time and effort if you are looking for the right price. Hopefully, my tips will help you get up in the air sooner so you can visit your next travel destination!
P.S. Never forget to purchase Travel Insurance for those unexpected cancellations and incidents. Thank goodness for Allianz because I fell down the steps while I was working as an Au Pair and landed in the hospital with a sprained ankle. All fees were completely covered!
Linking at The Weekly Postcard, Weekend Wanderlust, Travel Photo Thursday, and more!
Upon arriving in Australia, I knew that there were going to be some words that I didn’t quite recognize or understand the meaning to. I’ve compiled a list of some of the most used Australian Slang to help other travelers avoid the strange looks that I was so fortunate to receive.
Australia is definitely a unique place to be, but Aussies always know how to put a smile on my face. Post in the comments and tell me of any funny stories involving mixed up words/slang errors during your travels!
Well, everyone, I am back in the land down under!
I apologize for the hiatus, however, due to unforeseen circumstances, I went home for the holidays to be with my family and regroup.
Short story: I moved into a new families house at the beginning of November and was told after 3 weeks that they no longer needed an Au Pair because they were sending back one of their 2 foster kids… (Yes, I am serious), leaving me stranded with nowhere to go. So instead of worrying about where to be for the holidays, my awesome aunt bought a ticket for me to come home and be with family while I figured out what was next.
Fast forward two months and now I am back in Australia living in Pottsville, New South Wales with my boyfriend Billy! It is a beautiful area right across from the creek and beach. Honestly, I do not know how I got so lucky to be living down under with my best friend. The beauty of this country continues to WOW me every day. I am still on the hunt for a new (Non-Au Pair) job but I am hopeful that something will come up soon. I’ll try to stay more up to date with my blog now that I have a bit more free time, so stay tuned.
Right now, I am still on the hunt for a new (Non-Au Pair) job but I am hopeful that something will come up soon. Since I have more free time, I’ll try to stay more up to date with my blog, so stay tuned.
Also, if you haven’t already check out my Instagram accounts to keep up with my day to day life in Oz!
Day to Day- https://www.instagram.com/blizzardofoztravels/ @BlizzardofOzTravels
High-Quality Photos- https://www.instagram.com/kateebphotos/ @Kateebphotos
COFFEE!!!- https://www.instagram.com/coffeeofoz/ @CoffeeofOz